Friday, March 16, 2012

Mantic Games - Veer-myn: The 8th Race

When Mantic Games did their interview with BeastsofWar they announced that their new Sci-Fi game Warpath would have 8 races. They included the Orx, Forge Fathers (Space Dwarfs), Corporation (human), Rebels (Human and Aliens), Zzor (Just insect like creatures), The Plague (zombies), and space fairies. The final 8th race was deemed classified. The only thing that they let slip up many months ago was the name, Veer-myn. Most of us had a strong feeling that they were going to be space rats due to the fact that it's a play off the word Vermin. 

A few weeks ago, Mantic Games announced that the 8th race is here and will be shown in Project Pandora to start off. They were indeed space rats. The greens for the model were great but the same fear that came up with the Forge Fathers came up with the Veer-myn, how many of them can you customize to look different from the others? Well today Mantic released a picture of 10 fully painted Veer-myn models and let me be the first to say I'll put my money where my mouth is and buy a bunch of the models come May when they're rumored to be released. 

Veer-myn and picture (c) Mantic Games. 
I cannot wait to buy some of these guys and use them as my main instigators in most of my table top gaming. To me, there's nothing better than anthropomorphic creatures that are seen on the table top. I love ever model like this and have to give a great shout of to Mantic for doing something that finally screams Sci-Fi. There's nothing that strikes fear into the heart than a horde of rats charging at you. I bet they won't have a crazy stat line for defense and will be needed in a horde to survive but I can see their point cost being very cheap.

From the table top standard and the way Mantic's Warpath plays this could be very deadly. In Warpath your casualties aren't taken until the unit is destroyed which can happen after x amount of models in a group have been lost. Now imagine making a Forge Fathers army (maybe 50-60 models) have to shoot at an army of maybe 120+ Veer-myn. I am hoping that the point cost is low, I don't even care if the army is sub part in shooting and melee because with numbers come the ability to make up for lost brothers in the first wave of firing and combat. 

I need my space rats... The next purchase I make will be for Project Pandora just to get these beautiful models and to get my hands on hopefully a stat line and point price for these guys. 

To view the Mantic Blog talking about Project Pandora, go here: Mantic Blog

To purchase/advance order Project Pandora, go here: Project Pandora

No comments:

Post a Comment